Wednesday 22 November 2006

WTF £$%$ NEPA wahala

So I get a text from my brother in response to me asking how things are going in Lagos to say he is stressed. Okay, this is Lagos. You expect a bit of stress. Next thing I know I am getting texts from my sista, also inLagos, saying she has to get out of Naija for a week to de-stress. Aha, this was strange. Both siblings. Has Dad been on the lecture circuit again?

So I call home and am told the following : yesterday morning, my sister arrived at my parent's house where she runs a small gift shop to be met by two representatives from Nepa. This is not unusual and has become an almost monthly routine. This time there is an old timer and a new guy. They have come to disconnect the power. Again. Now my parents have lived in that house for over 30 years. Sometime two years ago, despite getting a monthly bill averaging N20k, for God knows how long, they suddenly received a bill for N550k for one month. Now my Dad used to be a banker and he is very sharp on his numbers but even my mum who was not a banker could recognise what we in the West would politely call an "anomaly" or more crudely a "cock up".

Since then it has been a case of file in hand trips to all the local Nepa offices as well as the Area office in Ijora. Promises are made, credits are promised, mistakes are to be rectified but till today- well jack. Which is why these two goons show up. Every time they are shown the file, told to go to Ijora to check the record of my parents visits and the accompanying paperwork which proves that a mistake was made but you know visiting Ijora would bring an end to the "social visits" for these clowns so the game continues. After all baby needs milk and so forth.

Yesterday however the game changed. This new goon arrives as my mother is trying to feed my brother's new baby. My sister arrives to find him waiting and he says to her that how can this woman (my mother) be wasting his time, siting upstairs and keeping him waiting downstairs. Who does she think she is? blah, blah,blah. He should just cut the power and show her who's boss. This is when the torch paper was lit.

Now let me say if you met myself and my siblings you would think we were the most balanced of adults and must be a source of pride and joy to our parents. Which of course we are :->. However, if you want see our other face, cross the line and abuse one of us or our parents and the gates of hell will open ( or as Fela put it, rat dey sleep, cat go bite him tail. wetin he dey find?)

So it was that this idiot felt the full venom of the family. My mother had to leave the baby feeding, my brother had to be restrained and my sister spent the day having severe palpitations after the tongue lashing that was dished out to the idiot - hence her desperation to head for the land of the free.

So my people, not only are we harassed outside the house by police, Lastma, area boys, dirt, smoke, street traders etc but now, even our private abode, our last refuse, our sacred sanctum, is now no longer free of harassment (forget about armed robbers in the night. What about these armed robbers during the day?). These people (my parents) are retired, they have served their time, they pay their (correct) bills on time. They just want to sail into the sunset with their children and grand kids around them savouring what is left of the fruit of life. But no. They cannot even do that in peace. What is a nation to do?

I will be in Nigeria in two weeks and I am just praying with all my might that he shows up again. Make una keep an eye on AIT news for further updates. See what I will do to the useless vagabond. Idiot. Conconbility. Oloshi.

4 comments:

Chxta said...

Err...

As an ajebuta having been outside the country for a while, I guess you should leave the fighting to your bro. Your part in the whole fiasco should be restricted to getting the police involved (with your best possible British accent I might add), then the PHCN mugus would know who's boss...

Bfabevents said...

What is the problem with this unruly goverment, it's only God that will save us, My dad went back to naija after staying with us abroad for about 5 years. He had a stroke, after the freaking doctors gave him the wrong injection in naija! Can you imagine, so i and my siblings had to file for both parents abeg, i know want wahala. Anyway he went back to naija to file for his pension and the woman who he was dealing with before he left for naija told him he could come on down that everything was taken cared of when he got to lagos. When my dad after two days of settling in, the woman told him to come to abuja only to tell him that, eh he has to go to apapa for some papers, becaus he had worked with the federal goverment press and then he had to pay for her ticket to come down and sort it out! I felt like crying mind you, if anyone has ever noticed anyone with a stroke it either has some kind of effect on them, and my dad walks with a limp, had to learn how to use his left hand because of the stroke and another human being seeing this could do this out of greed. So i know how it feels when someone tries to cheat a loved one. I'm sorry it's long, i just had to vent.

Toksboy said...

abi - please feel free to vent. it is always good to get this poison out of one's system. i could not sleep yesterday just going through all the Dirty Harry scenarios I would have performed on this sad excuse for a human. I mean how do these people sleep at night? My mother is 70years old for £$%^s sake. She has done her bit. Can't she be allowed to rest in her own home?

Chxta - although i have been out of naija for some time let me assure you that my stronghead is permanently in place (even sef when i go to naija it is the locals who are always trying to calm me down coz me i am always ready to rumble and i don't suffer fools). Getting police involved involved more files and you know you can't have files without ........

BabaAlaye said...

Mr.Toks please don't do a British Accent thing in a Naija Police station. Never Ever. It back fires all the time unless you have some serious muscle to back it up.

Your folks shouldn't pay 20k for Nepa bill haba! Even a bakery doesn't pay that much. If all else fails arrange for a pre-paid metre.

I'm glad you still have a bit of "gra gra" in you. You'll need it. Trust me. Good luck