Saturday 11 November 2006

My Iyawo wants a gun!!

As you now know we are making plans to return to Naija next year (my idea) with the kids. Needless to say this has led to endless debates. There are the good days when we talk about buying a boat and sailing around the many private beaches, all the new cool hangout places that are opening up and being able to have family barbecues without worrying about rain. Ah bless.

But then there are also the not so good days when elder daughter (from now on refereed to as ED) will remind me that her GSCEs are in two years and why take her away from her friends (and the numerous shopping malls) when she will only be returning for her GSCEs and A-levels soon anyway. Hmmm don't you just hate how logical they can be when it suits their purposes.

Middle daughter (MD) is not really bothered. She has age mates that she can play with so all is mostly well in her world.

The youngest two don't have a say in the matter. what I say to them goes - (like Nigerian democracy. No argument).

So now we come to madam. Madam is half Nigerian and grew up in Nigeria so no biggie from an integration point of view. However I do have one concern about madam's shopping list for the move. Furniture. Check. Appliances. Check(maybe two of everything because of NEPA wahala). Generator. Check. Housewares. Check. 9mm pistol. Now wait a minute. She says that this is to ensure that if we are ever attacked by armed robbers (God forbid), that they will know we mean business. Hmmm. How so??

I try to explain that these no - hopers generally tend to travel in relatively large groups and these days come heavily armed (ever wondered how they ended up with Uzis whilst the Nigerian Police still carry their shakabula? Might it have something to do with Tafa having multimillion naira properties all over the globe?) .

My words have fallen on deaf ears so far. She reckons that once she starts firing from inside they will think twice about it. This based on the assumption that we are dealing with intellectuals that actually think? My concern is that they will return even heavier fire and with children inside this is not a win-win scenario.

Also what happens if one day the stress of Lagos life gets too much for Iyawo and she decides to take it out on poor unsuspecting me as I return from the office. My darling, today I had a flat tire, the generator broke down, the housemaid is pregnant by the guard, the neighbours have been blaring music all day, my salary is now three weeks late and I have just had enough. So do you want to know what is for dinner. I'll tell you what's for dinner.............

Discussing this with a friend I am surprised at his support of her idea. He is returning to Naija next year as well and is going for the full American military commando range - sniper rifles, night goggles, bullet proofs, sensor alarms. perimeter sensors etc. It occurs to me very quickly that I am not going to get his support. I have so far managed to keep him and my wife apart in the hope that he will not influence her into more extremism - "honey I've decided against the 9mm. Now what I want is to go and train with the US Navy Seals and come back with an arsenal of weapons. How big do you think a rocket launcher really is?".

I remember the way armed robbers used to be so civilised when I was growing up. A knock on the door, a discussion as to the merits of the homeowner opening the door rather than making them work to break it down, maybe a flash of the newly sharpened cutlass. A short while later, tea was had by all, handshakes all around and they were on their way. Now from the minute I land at the airport all I hear about is gloom and doom. Oga did you hear about Mr so so and so. He was killed last night by armed robbers, they raped his wife, took all his belongings etc etc.

So anyway here is my plan. I intend to find us a house which we will then build a moat around, we will fill this with alligators, the garden will be filled with rabid hungry dogs, the fence will be electrified (by generator obviously. I cannot rely on NEPA for my security), the ground floor of the house will be built totally of steel and finally I will then site a police station on the roof. If this does not put them off then nothing will. All I have to do now is convince Iyawo.

8 comments:

Biodun said...

Let her have the gun.
Armed robbers visited my parents house last week. Luckily they were armed with machetes, drills and similar stuff.

They managed to get into the house by sawing off the burglary proof on some windows. Luckily the first floor where all the bedrooms are is sealed off at the staircase by a huge metal door, which we padlock every night.

My father got out his gun, fired some shots out of the front and the back and they left running.

Not all armed robbers come in packs with machine guns. Many are just dangerous and violent people who are trying their luck. A gun will scare them off, and they are more likely to try somewhere else than come back to a place where the residents are vigilant.

My father is now teaching my sister who still lives at home how to use the gun.

Don't be fooled the people you describe as
these no - hopers generally tend to travel in relatively large groups and these days come heavily armed
are likely to get in and hurt you whether you have a gun or not. But make sure you get that heavy metal door on top of the staircase. At best, It can prevent a lot of trauma (thieves take what they can get downstairs and you don't have to face them) and at worst it will buy you some time to call police, neighbours, friends, etc.

Nomad said...

We were visited twice while in naija. The first time was in Warri, they didnt harm anyone physically but I miscarried that night from sheer fright. The second time in Port Harcourt, they split my husbands head open and poked my belly with a very ugly locally made pistol. Second time around it was quite surreal and I remember thinking I might die today without the ensuing panic. I wish you all the best. The funny thing though is we planned moving back but have had to put it forward some more. I'll be watching your blog with interest.

Chxta said...

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/columns/sketches/sk30082006.html

Both of them cracked me up...

Dami said...

"they have houses like prisons,huge gates,several metal doors,very high walls and security wires" a visitors decription of my dear country

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Looking forward to reading the rest of the saga of your return home to Naija. It's a topic I don't even allow be mentioned in our house! You have a good woman to even consider returning. More grease!

Unknown said...

A Machine Gun may not save you if they come fully and more armed than you are. I would recommend desisting from getting a gun - wouldnt want ur wife being made a widow puh-lease!! Huge Metal doors, I would sanction. This is a really brave move. Good Luck. You may find out that you over reacted and the machine guns may not be needed in the end. (smile)

Jeremy said...

I've always thought non-lethal weapons are much underrated in Nigeria. Why not get Iyawo to bring a year's supply of pepper spray over (come to think of it, a home-made tatashe concoction might be a) more effective and b) cheaper. And what of tasers? There's nothing like a quick 30,000volts to get your average armed robber to see the error of his ways. Then you've got laughing gas and tear gas to consider. The options are endless..

Chxta said...

Now that is a great suggestion Jeremy. Why didn't I ever think of that?