Friday 10 November 2006

Starting Point

So where to start? I have read so many blogs I thought it was high time I joined the game. So much to say, so little time. Nigeria. Nigeria. Nigeria. I arrived back from Lagos last week after another whirlwind business trip. I never cease to be amazed as to how ugliness and beauty can be found within such a short distance of each other.

Perfect example- I was lucky enough to get one of the refurbished rooms at the Eko hotel. (This by the way means that the air conditioning works, there is no sticky carpet and the room does not present you with a roll call of the odours of the past few visitors). Anyway I had also done ajebutter and upgraded myself to a seaside view ( I love the sea, don't know why but am sure will end up with a house on the shore so I can watch undulating waves into my senility). So anyway I went to the room, opened the balcony door and was left open mouth. Wetin I see so?

I was looking at a stretch of Bar Beach that most people have never gotten to see. Not recently anyway. The view of the beach we see is the one where the "work" is going on (water still full ground as of last week oh), the Cele people are in abundance and the area boys are doing a roaring trade in parking. Here, however was the complete opposite. White sands , a few huts\shacks, a little canal and solitary fishermen out doing what they do best. Believe it or not there is a demarcation point. Turn your head one way and you have old BB. Turn a few degrees more and you are in Portugal, Spain, South Africa. Somewhere else. This is my view of Nigeria. The beautiful and the ugly. Just minor degrees of separation.

3 comments:

zeyi said...

I see your point. Did you take any pics? If so post them now :)

Omodudu said...

Nice nice, we would like to see pix, videos and stuff. You just might inspire us to take the plunge too.

Naijadude said...

I wanted it so bad after reading your blog. You gave the view a nice illustration. I am really craving for the picture eh!!