Saturday 18 November 2006

See me. See trouble. Madonna invades my space.

Picture the scene. It is late in the evening. I am watching Series 3 of 24 on my portable DVD just chilling in bed. Even drifting off to sleep. I was in the slumber zone when Iyawo bursts into announce that they are just about to show the Madonna interview with Oprah on Sky and she wants us watch it together.

Now there are many ways to light my torchpaper. One is to disturb my sleep. Two is make my car messy and three well mention of the M word. Why oh why did she have to go there. But you know your boy is loving if nothing else so I thought I would play along (spend some quality time with Iyawo. After all no be for better, for Madonna na him we talk for wedding vow?.)

Anyways it only took two and a half minutes for me to storm out of the room screaming. I just cannot bear the sight of the woman and her coming over all coy and stuttering (how many gazillions of interviews has this woman done?) She knows how to play them so her pretending that she was lost for words and a bit flustered was all it took for me to go off on one. I used every profanity I could thing of and even made some up. At one point I think I was even speaking in tongues I was so mad.

So why my irritation. The fact that Madonna can sail into Malawi, do a few choreographed dances with the natives (did anyone else see her director in the corner of the picture telling the kids when to rise up (apparently spontaneously?Oh I cant wait for the video!)) , splashdown £1m and then whisk out of there with a baby just overwhwelms me. I was on BBC radio a few weeks ago giving them my views on this whole fiasco. I thought the slave trade had been abolished? There has been a lot of argument back and forth , pros and cons but I am sorry there were so many other ways that she could have helped that baby and the many more thousands across Africa have a better life - like sponsorship, raising awareness, doing a concert.

My dislike for the woman goes a long way back. I studied Music Business as a moinor in college and had the opportunity to meet with some of the boys from the NY scene and they would always regale us about Madam and how she would use a lot of the black talent that she came across in the clubs, not give them credit etc. The most obvious was the Vogue which apparently gay guys had been doing in NY. She heard about it, went to see it and next thing you know -another million dollars in the bank. Any credit to the source? Dream on.

The whole adoption thing makes me sick and apoplectic with rage. And the authorities in Malawi are not excused from my rage and frustration by the way. So the baby is going to have a better life? On whose terms? Since when does living in a big house in England automatically equate to a better life.? The real clincher for me is that having gone to all this trouble to buy the baby, when the baby finally arrived - the very next morning, that is the morning following his arrival in a strange country, surrounde by strangers, in a strange home- she left him alone to go out to the gym for her workout ( I guess there is only so much bonding that is needed once you have paid for the goods and she does have her "looks" to worry about).


God helps us all if this is where our world is heading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL poor madonna, I agree though she is painful to watch, she really is.

@SisiogeLagos said...

Toks...Gosh..I think you must have been a fly on the wall in my house whilst i was discucssing, shouting and sometimes even talking about this Madonna issue!!! I absolutely, wholeheartedly-without-apology detest the woman!!! She is the worst of all opportunists! The edge of desperation is always evident in everything she does. She deserves zero glory and praise but alas; she still gets it!! I for one, can't wait for her to fail with this whole adoption thing. Its all so obviously fake and insincere, that one is left wondering; how the hell she sleeps at night??? What must that poor boy be going through in that house in an environment thats so lacking in substance that its flimsier that the wind! And as for the Malawan government and the father...I think his despicable contirbution in this whole distasteful saga; has been confirmed by the news that he got married this week!!!! Money sure makes anyone attractive!!!

PS..What is your e-mail address. I read your comments on Naijablog about the BT/Nitel/MTEL story and i so agree with you!! I too, have been working in telecoms for some 8 yrs now, the most of my career has been with BT as a programme manager..And yes you are right!! However, i would like to contact you regarding another telecoms issue, so I would sincerely appreciate it if you could e-mail me @ ireti.bakare@ntlworld.com So i can mail you back with the details.

Unknown said...

I think the whole adoption saga sucks!! I thought it was only orphaned children that were suppoesed to be adopted and I agree with Sharon Osborne's view of thought. If Madonna wants to help Baby David, then she should have gotten his father a means of livelihood.

It pains my heart cos too often we see instances of cases where well to do nigerians have tried to adopt their orphaned relatives & bring them to live with them here in the UK and had thier visa apllications refused on the grounds that the kids had other relatives in nigeria who could look after them conveniently. Hello!! The last time I checked baby David's father was still alive!!

Several other couples residing in the UK have appealed to MAdonna for help. They have had visa applications to bring over orphaned relatives refused on the grounds that the kids have other relatives who can take good care of them and that bringing them to the UK would put a strain on NHS and social services.

Its a dog's world. *Sigh* Who says being a celebrity dosent open doors and get things done pronto?

Talatu-Carmen said...

This case drives me wild. if she really cares, why doesn't she sponsor the child to grow up with his father and the rest of his family and pay for him to have a good education? she has children. she has enough money to probably sponsor a whole village. what insufferable arrogance to think that her nannies would do a better job than the boy's aunties in Malawi.