Thursday 23 November 2006

Boys in da hood.

I went to cut my hair last weekend (aha, wait now, let me land. No sniggering at the back). There is hair there although it is fair to say that to the untrained eye it is hardly worth maintaining but to the professionals there is still work to be done. I can't help it if I am a trendsetter by going for the "low cut" look way before it became fashionable. I'll share a secret with you. The next big thing is going to be.... nose hairs. Don't ask me how I know just keep it to yourself, wait and see.

Anyway, I was at the barbers with these two young black guys. What struck me about them was how they were almost identikit stereotypes. Jeans, crisp white trainers, t- shirt, jeans jacket \ hoodie. They were both on the phone and it was easy to ascertain that they were talking to their laydeez.

I then started thinking about the loss of individuality (IMO) amongst this demographic. I get a sense that it is better (and far easier?) to conform to the thug life , lover boy, smooth operator stereotype than to establish any sort of credible counter identity. Of course they were younger than me and are of a different generation but I seem to be seeing the same person everywhere I go. I wonder where the revolutionaries are going to come from?

This trend has now found its way to Nigeria where the kids are now going around flashing their underwear at all and sundry (a sin in my day. I could not even leave home unless my shirt was tucked in and I had a belt on). My nephew arrived back from school recently with his tie askew, his belt done very loosely and his trousers tucked under the flap of his trainers. I asked him what he thought he was playing at and he said that I needed to get with the programme and that this was the "new school" way of dressing. It showed that he was "cool and one of the homies". He then asked me for money for some food. I politely declined as I am old school, and so is my money.

Black boys in the UK are generally noted as lagging behind in the educational system (although last week it was reported that they had been overtaken by white boys- hurrah) and as such are not really challenged educationally. Iyawo's friend sent her son to a very expensive private school in North London despite the fact that she was a single mother just scraping by herself (no judgements. just stating the facts) but she wanted to ensure he got the best education possible (naija style). She arrived at school one day to check on his progress to find her son sitting at the back of the class doing some drawing whilst the rest of the class was being taught a lesson. When she challenged the teacher she was informed that as her son liked art and drawing they basically left him to get on with it whilst they carried on with their lessons. "Is this a one-off" she enquired of her son. "Oh no mum, it happens every day". She immediately moved him to another school.

So what does the future hold for black male youth? Who has the answers? Have they been totally brain washed by the nu media- mtv (where all the women have perfect teeth and breasts. My perosnal gripe but that's another blog) or can they still be saved and if so how? What incentive is there for them to be different? And is different really all that attractive anyway?

6 comments:

uknaija said...

Yes, I get the same feeling each time I go to the barbers here...and I guess you know the origin of the trousers round the ankles is from US prisons where inmates aren't allowed belts...so it's prisoners setting the tone...nice blog by the way

Toksboy said...

thanks for the compliment. u see i never knew about the trousers so thanks for sharing that. now it all makes sense - convicts as role models. Prepares them for life in politics (in naija) i suppose.

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Good post. I often wonder the same thing. It's just as bad with the women - all Topshop or JJB clones!

@uknaija: Never knew that. You live and learn, you live and learn...

Anonymous said...

hmmm

Zaynnah Magazine said...

IMO there is a desperate need for a different kind of role model. The youth are trying to emulate the P-Diddys, Snoop Doggs, 50 cents (or 'fiddy' cent!), and Eminems of this world. Sadly these are the role models of today.There needs to be a re-introduction of values such as respect for elders, pride in one's culture, you don't have to follow the crowd to be hip, it's cool to go to school etc. I also think that parents have a big role to play in this - the change has to start from home.

Dami said...

maybe people that are always worried about the male youth can come up with something worth emulating, apart from selling us music and culture mtv dont really care much