Sunday 14 January 2007

Amazon don come with their wahala oh.

So I am sitting at the computer minding my own business when I get indication that a new mail has arrived. I go to check and it is a mailer from Amazon and this is what it says :

Amazon.co.uk has new recommendations for you based on items you purchased or told us you own. And what was this recommendation? Calculus for geniuses? An Idiot's guide to women?How to stretch your love life to three minutes? Moving back to Nigeria? You must be loco. Nooo. Instead they recommend for me (omo tatanbulu. omo oba. omo nla gidi gidi):

Belle De Jour: Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl.

What the hell? Who tell them say I dey interested in this kind of stuff? What items have I purchsed from them to give them this inkling into my taste. If Iyawo sees this now she will be looking at me out of the corner of her eye, smiling that smile of hers and checking my credit card bills the minute I leave house. Again.

The last thing I bought from Amazon about three years ago was Rich Dad, Poor Dad if I remember correctly. Maybe they think say that now I don get money it is time to start spending. Abi what again? And how they hell do they know what I own? I have not told them I own anything unless of course they have webcam for my house.

This one pass me oh. A person cannot even sit down jeje for house without persecution and harassment. I was almost tempted to put down my Maxin magazine and turn off Girls of the Playboy Mansion on the TV to give them a ring to find out what they are trying to imply.

On a serious note all this info gathering by these companies is really scary. Sure they will tell you there is nothing sinister about it all but I have my suspicions. It seems that every single second of our lives is now tracked by somebody, somewhere for their own purposes. How does that make you feel?

As for Amazon, you are wasting your time oh. I don already get signed copy of the book. From the author.:-> So there.

12 comments:

babatunde said...

You are just paranoid........ me I'm not which is why I run Ad-Aware, and Spybot, have a separate email account and CC for online purchases, use firefox with the NoScript and bug-me-not plugins apart from my firewall. I'm not paranoid no one is tracking me.

Anonymous said...

bwahahahhahahaha!!!
It's a conspiracy I tell you!
lol

Perfectly Human said...

I'm sure it's because of searches you've done of similar books, do not be afraid, lol. Adventures of a call girl, interesting.

Dami said...

its not about what youve bought only its also about what you've looked at ;-)
oh yea very soon air passangers detail wil be sent to yankee for some weird reason

Toksboy said...

babatunde- i am not paranoid. just surprised to get this mail out of the blue. i checked and the last thing they had recommended was that I buy a USB memory stick. Quite a jump you would admit.

belle- i am sure there is a lot of info sharing going with these megacorps. they are tracking every single thing I tell you.

jj/dami- wetin be your own. of course sometimes one accidentally will click on some spurious link or other but as soon as one realises the content one then moves away from said link rapidly. if you get my meaning.

As for the yankee info gathering well that is real paranoia.

Anonymous said...

lol... adventures of a call girl... I never heard that one b4.. i dey go check the site oh... hehe

babatunde said...

Toks you misunderstand me, IMO you have every reason to be paranoid. The people tracking us on and off-line are not doing it for benign reasons. I personally believe they have no right to do it without my specifc permission, so will go out of my way to make it as hard as possible for them

UnNaked Soul said...

@ONB: we get the same mind oh... I've already googled it sef.. and I found this belledejour-uk.blogspot.com

lol

@toks: welcome to the 21st century, where your privacy is not private... thank God naija is local... lol

BabaAlaye said...

Maxim? Girls of the playboy mansion? Belle de jour?

Fo'real you're my kinda guy hehehe.

Bitchy said...

Gmail do the same thing too! I thought I was the only one getting just a tad suspicious.. The bastards read your emails and then list a whole host of ads beside your in your inbox to entice you.

Perhaps I'm just bitter because I'm a sucker for advertising and end up spending a fortune on utter nonsense like cheesecake!!

Marin said...

Toks,

are you sure you are really paranoid about being tracked? Because buying stuff from Amazon, keeping a blog....mmm... me thinks you are habouring a secret wish to be tracked, lol.

But seriously I gave up on trying to cover my tracks, anybody who tries hard enough can find out whatever information they want on the web. The "footprits" on the www can never be completely erased.

Toksboy said...

It gets worse. I went to see a client today and when we were picked up from reception we had to go in through one door whilst the PA went in through another. I asked the reason for this and apparently they have a special pass that allows for their every movement to be tracked as they have to swipe through every part of the building. You might think fair enough for security reasons but then she also mentioned that it also allows the powers that be to keep track of how much time you take for lunch or spend away from your desk etc. This is where it got a bit sinister especially as it then occurred to me that I have been passively using almost the same system at work but never really thought about it to that level.

And another thing we arrived at work sometime last year to find these black globes popping out of the ceiling. Further investigation (poke nose ) soon showed these to be CCTV cameras. We were told by the powers that be that there was no need to worry as they were only focused on the enrty\exit doors on each floor for security reasons but what is to stop them from swinging the camera round to find me doing research on the internet.Hmm?