Sunday 27 July 2008

Customer Service. Naija stylie.

I phone a hotel nearby that prides itself as 3 star to make a booking for a guest. The receptionist that answers asks me for the guest's name which I duly giver her. She then asks me for how many nights which I again confirm. She then quotes me a price which is different from he brochure in my hand. She tells me that this is for a different type of room. I explain that this tyoe will suffice. And she promptly hangs up.

Thinking we have been accidentally disconnected as is common here I ring back. She answers again.

Me: I think we were cut off.

She: No. I hung up.

Me : But why now?

She : You told me the name of the Client, you confirmed the number of days required and you already knew the price. So what else?

Me : A thank you would be....

She had hung up. Charming.


I call a very local estate agent in Ajah from whom we are looking to rent a room. We have a discussion at which I manage to get him to lower his rates. We arrange to meet the next day. Before he hangs up he says: Thanks very much for your call. I really look forward to seeing you in our offices tomorrow and I look forward to serving you and doing business with you. I really value your custom.

And there you have it. Naija. You just never quite know what to expect.

6 comments:

Cheetarah said...

Uhhh, i once had rude girl who worked for some company treat me in a similar fashion, but i made sure she never did it to any1 again in her life! I didnt shout or even say she was rude, I jsut called her back pretending to be calling from her head office saying we had a complaint from a customer about her rudeness, she tried to fobb it off, but i gave her a dressdown and warned her she would loose her job if i ever got such complaints again and customers were to be respected, she ended up crying,then i felt kinda bad.....lol! But yeah she'll neva do it again.

I read about the Zenith story, everyday something manages to make me laff, if its true then she had some serious sec issues to resolve!

TMinx said...

Lol! They keep you on your toes!

Toksboy said...

@cheeterah- seeme see trouble. unfortunatley it was not a chain so IU had no real escalation path but I did laugh about it afterwards.

@Tminx - they certainly do. Or is it on edge?

uknaija said...

I thought they had learnt to say "Yuh wekom!"

lamikayty said...

Aaaah! wonders shall never cease. I make it a point of duty when i receive cool service to make sure I thank the person and tell him/her how impressed I am!

BabaAlaye said...

Naija. can't live in it, Can't live without it.