Monday 5 May 2008

Goodbye Aunty


My aunty, Mrs Jade Akande, passed away suddenly last week in her sleep. Her death hit me very hard but not as hard as my mother who is trying to be strong but we can tell that her emotions are boiling beneath the surface. What made my aunty special to me was not all that she accomplished but the humility and grace that she retained till the very end.


I now regret my procrastination in telling her something that I had wanted to tell her for some years. How proud I was of her. How she motivated me without knowing it. How I was in awe of her. How I became dumbstruck every time I was around her even though she was the most comfortable person to be around.


When I read about her organising the march for mothers following the Sosolido crash I was so proud but not surprised. She was one of those people that do rather than talk about doing. When planning my return to Nigeria one of the things I promised myself to do was to tell her to her face how proud I was when I heard about the March. But alas it was not meant to be.


I also wanted to ask her to be my mentor. To show me the way in making things better for others as she had done. Now I will have to find my own way. My own causes to fight. In her name. To honour her and to let her know it was not in vain. To let her know she left some torchbearers behind. I am sure I am not the only one.


Rest In Peace Aunty. May God be with you always.

13 comments:

9jamommy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's amazing how much we mean to tell people but never do till it's too late. I heard about that march my mother participated in it.

May her soul rest in peace.

Nonesuch said...

May her soul rest in peace. She was a shining light to many. I also blog about her.

I had my regrets too you know. I alsways wanted to volunteer at the Women center she runs in Onikan but never got round to going there.

Interesting to know she is your Aunt.

'Yar Mama said...

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihin raji'un. May she rest in peace and may the Almighty Allah give your family the fortitude to bear this loss.

Toksboy said...

Thank you all for your kind words. The key thing, though a cliche, is to make the most of today and everyday in case tomorrow never comes.

Bibi said...

Hello,
How are you? Sorry to hear about your loss. Like you said the best is to seize the day!!!

By the way i have this uncanny feeling we are related.. Do u have a younger sister called Keji Agoro?

Toksboy said...

Bibi

How are we related? Know several keji's actually. Have removed her surname from the post as I don't know her personally but have heard of her. She runs KFA Fashions?

Bibi said...

Yes she does... She has a shop on Bode thomas in Suru-lere. If she is not related to you in anyway; i guess i must have gotten your identity mixed up. The reason must have been the fact that some of your earlier post reminds me of someone i know.

laspapi said...

She was a great woman. The sosoliso thing showed her 'truth'. I sat in shock when I heard, she'd been to a Terra play only last December

LG said...

May her soul continue to rest in peace- AMEN

*hope u r doing gr8t?*

Chxta said...

May she RIP.

Anonymous said...

May her soul rest in perfect peace.
Don't be too hard on your self toks-boy, she had a Good life and her work influenced and helped lot of people so she should be celebrated.

Anyway waiting for more blogs from you always enjoy your post, Rosemary in Dublin, update,update,update

KemiMamaLopes said...

Olorun a je ki ojo jina si ra won. Amin.

uknaija said...

She was a very special woman, untiring. My condolences