Monday 5 March 2007

A case of two robberies. Naija style.

So I am in the Business Centre of my hotel when I overhear the following conversation behind me. It would seem that this chap from Italy arranged to come to Nigeria for a business meeting. Being that it was going to be his first time in Nigeria he was extremely nervous. He therefore arranged for a car from the hotel to come and collect him from the airport.

He arrives at MMA last night to be met by a chap with a sign bearing his name. He duly follows said chap, after ascertaining that it was the hotel driver, to the car park where he gets into the car only to be joined by another chap. He is therefore hemmed in, in the back seat with the driver up front. He quickly deduces that this is not kosher and asks some more questions that the real hotel driver would have known the answers to. As could be expected the robbers did not have the answers but they did have a fourth man join them whom they picked up not far from the airport.

And so it was that this man had all his worst fears confirmed as he was stripped of 18,000 Euros, passport, mobile, credit cards etc. He was then driven somewhere and the robbers kindly hailed a cab for him (what true gentlemen) before legging it at double speed in their car. He went on to explain his predicament to the taxi driver who in his mercy took him to the Sheraton from where he was able to contact the hotel.

Meanwhile, back at the airport the real hotel driver was in a state as he could not understand how the passenger had not yet come out of the arrivals hall three hours after the flight had landed.

Moral of the story – do not let your name be written on a placard because what the robbers do is copy it down and then place their man closer to the entrance than the person that is actually supposed to be meeting you. They then steer you away from the main entrance, into their car and off you go. Also, always have the mobile number of the person that is collecting you.

Anyway I can just imagine the tales this chap will have to tell when he gets back home to Italy. Ah well, as they say in the film Blood Diamonds – TIA- This is Africa. Sxxt happens.

I will be writing our erstwhile Minister for Aviation, FK, to find out why it is not possible for the hotels to have their actual booths inside the newly redecorated lobby to avoid this kind of image damage exercise. Also why the outside cannot be more lit up and the touts moved back from the entrance gates. More suggestions welcome.




The second robbers are our good friends at NEPA. In case you are not aware, anybody in Lagos that is enjoying more than three hours of constant electricity at the moment is living the life of Riley, (or Jimoh, Musa or Francis, more appropriately). It is so bad that most households and businesses are running generators for twenty to twenty four hours a day? Naturally they are not built for this sort of usage. Our house alone is littered with the ghosts of four. One of them bought just a week ago went kaput and the seller then told my family that the kick plate had broken. After a week??????

So at my hotel on the mainland things are not much better. I was actually frightened yesterday that at any moment something in my room was going to burst into flames such was the off\on on\off, high current , low current rhythm of the power (either that or I could start charging people to come in for a disco). The generator outside has been moaning since I arrived on Friday and yesterday it decided to give up the ghost. There was lots of warning with about 30 outages per hour. I kid you not. It was so bad I could not dare to plug in anything electrical in case it melted or exploded. Since my stay here about a month ago the hotel has now installed one hell of a drum to hold diesel for their generator. This thing is the size of a small bungalow. I am damned sure that they are not making a penny in profit during this period and might actually be better off chucking us all out and shutting down.

So I made a trip to the lobby to ascertain exactly what was going on. (I am actually getting quite good at this investigative journalism stuff. Before I was just an amateur poke nose, amebo (whoops power just went) but now I see myself as a professional busybody. All I need now is a raincoat and you can call me Columbo).

Naturally it turns out that he who pays the most gets the most. NEPA is rationing electricity because there is a shortage and this is fair enough. However the only people that are getting their rations are the ones that appear at NEPA offices bearing gifts. My mole tells me that a big hotel on the Island is currently gifting them to the tune of about N200k per week. This does not guarantee 24/7 power, just a period for the generator to rest before kicking back into action. And of course they still have to pay the legitimate NEPA bill through the front door (whoops lights have starting to dim again. All sorts of things clicking around me as the current fluctuates. Thank God there are no fluorescent bulbs in this place). It’s just gone again.

When the generator broke down yesterday morning (thank God I was out) they rushed down to Nepa with N10k to buy 6 hours of electricity to give them time to fix it. Apparently there was not a flicker during that period.

So there you have it. A case of nightime robbery and a case of all day robbery. God help us.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Nigeria we hail thee...
Never forget that for everything that doesn't work in Nigeria someone is making a killing, be it Armed robbers or NEPA... I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation as to why we can't get refineries working.

Chxta said...

God help us.

יש (Yosh) said...

pathetic....kai, I feel bad for the Italian o! *shakes head*

As for light, I don't think we have it that bad here in Abuja, thank God for that. But those places with high biz concentration (Wuse II, ALL the Wuse Zones, Garki "Areas 1-11" and some parts of Maitama), ALL suffer. Weekends are for free pass.

Power is still a major downer in Naija, anytime.

Jeremy said...

It would be interesting to know how many kidnappings in exactly this style at MMA happen every week. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least once a week. One can only suspect that there is connivance among airport staff to allow the kidnap gangs unfettered access to greenhorn oyinbos inside the terminal..

Meanwhile, all companies expecting visitors should a) give the driver a code word which he has to repeat to the visitor and b) get the driver to phone the company before the visitor enters the car so the visitor can speak to the host.

Dammie said...

WoW, this must be Y my folks don't want me to live in Nigeria *sigh*

BUT I love my countryyy...

This is scary man.

Zaynnah Magazine said...

I agree with Chxta - God help us!

Talatu-Carmen said...

depressing. my parents just sent an email with a tale of three robberies. their NEPA story was equally disturbing. they say that a nearbye polytechnic, students were demonstrating because of lack of NEPA and four students were killed by the police. at the university where my dad teaches, it was a bit better. the students peacefully demontrated and now there is NEPA on the dot from 7pm to 7am everyday.

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Toks, I can't tell you how I cringe when I read stuff like this. And Nigeria still dares to call itself the Giant of Africa???!!! You must be having a laugh. I no go lie, if only because of NEPA I no ever fit go back go live for dere. Not very patriotic but then again, do you really think I care?

As my people down south will say, Doh!

9jamommy said...

that's just gangsta...I feel so sorry for the italian dude, but who travels with so much cash though? has he ever heard of wiring money?

As for the nepa thing you're not lying, for the last month we have not had light longer than 10 mins on any day, we are running the generator everday from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m., it's really bad.

Anonymous said...

Such a shame! When are things going to change? Will they ever?

Dami said...

wow!!
I think they should de-cluster the airport area and force people to have kpali or some original i.D
a member of staff can follow drivers with some sort of code.

NEPA: reason why im not in a hurry to go there anyways i heard by 2050 it will be sorted yay!!

Unknown said...

Poor Guy!! Such an experience on his first trip. Thank God he escaped with his life. Hotels having a spot in the airport lobby is a food idea.

As for NEPA, God help us all.

Stuck in my throat said...

hey,
before we all crucify 9ja for all the crap that i know we deserve to be criticized for, let's ask this italian what he came for exactly.
many of them get scammed because they want to make quick money...

Mr.Fineboy said...

Only in Nigeria! great post....we need freaking aviation ministers who know what the hell they're doing! Check my blog out sometime bro!

uknaija said...

Oga Toks

Update please...

Bitchy said...

Wow! I've heard the NEPA thing's getting worse and worse. Is it all the pipeline vandalism? Or problems with pressure? Or something like that? I'm coming on Saturday.... sigh. At least now I know to get ready to sweat.

Oh and the poor Italian... at least they got him a taxi ey?

Anonymous said...

The NEPA THING IS JUST BLATANT ROBBERY FOR REAL!! YOU SETTLE? LIGHT COMES ON!