Thursday 13 August 2009

Welcome to civilisation?


Since arriving in the Uk on Monday night here are some of the headlines:


1. Man dies of gunshot wounds sustained on bus

2. Names of three people who tortured 17month old to death released

3. Biggest armed robbery jewelry heist in Uk history on New Bond St

4. Man kicked to death just yards from his home

5. Lady who disappeared some months ago could have been "involved" with as many as forty men

6.Drunk lady convicted for killing her equally drunk husband by driving over him

7. Baby's body found in car boot

8. A whole 40 tonne ship (trust me that's big) has disappeared feared captured by pirates


These are just some of the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Oh how I long to be back in the relative safety and (in)sanity of Lagos where one might occasionally be accosted by a tout with those immortal words "bros how far? something for the boys?".


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh.. why do you think i split..? It was just bad news on a daily man.. too much information with not much to look forward to. And racial profiling was heightened that when you did read bad news there was a sigh of relief.. when you concluded.. and hoped you were right, that at least the guy that murdered his strangled his wife, six kids and then shot himself wasn't black! Damn.!!.nah man.. no way to live. Love the UK, but, really..

Anonymous said...

Eh.. why do you think i split..? It was just bad news on a daily man.. too much information with not much to look forward to. And racial profiling was so heightened that when you did read bad news there was a sigh of relief.. when you concluded.. and hoped you were right, that at least the guy that strangled his wife and six kids and then shot himself wasn't black! Damn.!!.nah man.. no way to live. Love the UK, but, really..

babatunde said...

I beg leave us O, as least we have light.
And members of parliment get into trouble over claiming for a banana

Toksboy said...

anon - I don't blame you jare. This evening's news even more depressing

babatunde- maybe that's the problem. too much light. a bit of darkness might give all those pyschos wandering the streets time to cool off and focus on something else

Dapxin said...

Its a messed up world....

I long for the tranquil, darkness and perfect oxygen of my grandfathers village, somewhere in the deep of Akure....

Then and again, we really dont know what we are after but headlines was never a function of peace/life/goodfeeling sha, not unless when United! whips some bluei-sh ass :rant

welcome to the kingdowm sha.

Anonymous said...

When I was in Los Angeles, there was this news thingy called KCAL 9 News, always bad news of someone dying by accident, shooting and what not. Depressing.

You hear news of someone killing his fomer coworkers after being fired and such.

I talk to my friends about reeturning to Nigeria and they always talk about the security issue and I wonder if we hear the same news. In my mind I jiust say well I will return to NIgeria, y'all can stay here if you want. I am back home and loving it.

Truth is its all relative.

uknaija said...

Welcome o