Monday 15 September 2008

A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall....


Talk is cheap. I know that. I was always the quietest one in my social circles. I was viewed as an oddity. An enigma. An old soul in a young man's body. I once went a month year barely uttering a sentence to the people I lived with.


I wrote a poem about words back then. I only remember these lines:


Some people throw words around

like left over currency

after a cheap foreign holiday

I guard my words like diamonds and gold

for they are the currency of my soul.


I am content to just be. To listen. And listen some more. But deep within me the emotions churn. The facade might be calm but the interior is aflame. So much so that sometimes I break out in a hot sweat.


So what is this all about? It is about the need for change. The need to do something. As the comments on my last post have revealed we are now getting to the stage where words are no longer enough. Enough words have been written and printed to flatten the Amazon rain forests and yet we are where we are. Or even backward. So now what? I also realise that whilst we sit here on our blogs postulating and agitating for change there is only a small minority of us. After all how many people in Nigeria even have access to the internet? Well, it is my field so let me tell you - less than 5% of the population. And that's being generous.


So what to do? How about a million (man) march? Would that make any difference? Could we even garner a million in this days of apathy? How about a strike by civil servants? Would that get support? How about a petition delivered to Aso Rock? Would it even get to the door? What do we have to do as citizens of this great country to get


- constant power?

- proper education for our kids that does not cost an arm and a leg?

- proper healthcare - ditto the above?

- transparency in government?


and that's just for starters. Another poem


Someday a hard rain is gonna fall

and strip us naked one and all

where will you run when its falling down?

where will you hide when it's raining all around?

Hard Rain, Hard Rain.


In my view we have run out of hiding places. We are exposed. It's raining all around. Hard Rain.

4 comments:

'Yar Mama said...

Add poet to your credentials...a very thoughtprovoking piece. It seems there really might not be a solution to this contraption called Nigeria. Disheartening fs with no other alternative.

p/s I am guessing you love the lyrics of ASA's 'Fire on the mountain'.

'Yar Mama said...

Third sentence should read 'for us with no other alternative'. I still haven't learnt how to edit my comments!!!

Black Man Comes said...

Wow, nice one. I am of that thinking, we need to take some action but a million man march never did cross my mind. The question is, who will lead? Will the people follow and accept it is worth it? So far the strikes have not done much dents, but perhaps, someone, maybe me, will take it upon themselves to mobilize the people and encourage them that tear gas, hot steam shooters should not stop us. Perhaps someone like me and them reading.

Ore said...

I'm interested in your source of information on internet access.