Sunday 25 November 2007

Just like riding a bike..... ish


I am in pain. Severe pain. The sort of pain women complain about during childbirth. Only I do not have access to an epidural. Or a doctor. no. It's just me and good ole Paracetamol. See this is what happens when vanity and ego overtake common sense. Some weeks ago we had the pleasure of having Laspapi round for dinner during which he casually mentioned that he played five - a- side football every Friday. He looked fit and well and I took this as a good sign that the Friday kickabout was doing him good.

Since then we have exchanged emails and I have made enquiries about the game stating categorically that:
- I have not played in at least five years

- My current fitness leaves something to be desired

- Constant travelling does not help

- My advancing years could be an issue etc etc.

I feel that I gave him enough clues for him to be able to say. Toksie you are absolutely right. You continue to stay at home of a Saturday evening eating spring rolls and sipping on fruit cocktails. Sure, make the occasional trip to LaCasa to "work out" and all will be well. But no. The mails came thick and fast. Oh everything will be alright. We are all old men. None of us is fully fit. You will fit right in. We will play at the right pace.

And so it was that I donned my trainers (white of course) and headed off to the Astro turf pitch last night. The first clue that all was not well was that there was no sign of my "mentor". Maybe he is running late I thought to myself as I watched a bunch of fit Arabs\ Lebanese blast the ball about the pitch. Thank God I am not playing with these guys. He'll be here any minute now with the rest of the geriatrics, I try to convince myself, and we can get on with it. It wil be more about skill than speed.

Seconds turn into minutes and thirty of those later I found myself being fitted into an orange jersey and lining up with nine other players - none of whom was a day past 30. Some of them looked fit and muscular enough to play in the Premiership. Unfortunately there was no hiding place. This was five a side. There were nine of them and well you don't have to be a scientist.

For those of you not familiar with this brutal sport here is how it works. Unlike regular football, there are only five players per side, normally there are plenty of subs to allow players to rest, it is played on a smaller pitch than the standard which is normally Astro Turf. Oh and the game tends to move very quickly indeed. Especially if you are forty something and your knees are shot and your groin muscles are em tight. (Bill Cosby to David Letterman. I pulled a groin muscle last night. Dave to Bill. Was it yours? Classic). Anyways.

I look over and notice there are no subs, and no Laspapi, on the bench. I am run ragged. My breath, when it comes, is coming from somewhere near my ankles. I can tell because I am bent over double on my knees and can feel and hear the blood pumping through my veins. From my toes. We are three minutes into the game. I have already dispatched a bottle of water and now realise the foolishness of quaffing that bowl of jollof rice and efo stew earlier in the afternoon to "beef" up my energies.

I rain curses on my tor"mentor"'s head as the ball continues to whizz past me like the okada men on the Lekki Expressway. I eye the referee so ferociously urging him to blow his whistle for half time he must think I am trying to pick him up. Eventually there is only one thing for it. My turn to be the keeper. I wheeze as I stumble towards the post, my vision blurred from sweat and light headedness.

The keeper is none too pleased as he later confides that he is suffering from the excesses of the previous night. Too many drinks, too many women, dusk turns into dawn etc. Damn those were the days I think to myself... as the ball whizzes past me into the net. Note to self. Concentrate. And er stand up. I use the post to leverage myself into a standing position and then miraculously feel my second, or is it fourth wind, appearing. I decide to go for it and call back the fairly grateful keeper and I make my way on to the wings where I give a display of left sided play those young whipper snappers will propably not see again for some time ( I reckon it will take at least two weeks for me to feel my knees and toes again).

Much to my relief the referee finally blows. I muster all my strength to run to the drinks cabinet, give high fives to one and all and make for my departure until I am told it is only halftime. We still have another half to go. Has it just been fifteen minutes?

From the look on their faces I am pretty sure those guys had never seen a grown man cry like that before. Wait till I get my hands on that Laspapi who never did show up. He won't even be able to whisper to the girls when I finish with him.

Oh and by the way we lost. By one point. And I saved four goals. Let in three. Scored none. Came close though. Twice. So there.
I'm off to rest.



10 comments:

laspapi said...

I laughed till the tears rolled as I read this. Forgive me, toks boy. You know Friday used to be the regular day and then we decided to get our own allotment and shift to saturdays. At 6pm on Saturday, we were gathered waiting to move down in a caravan of vehicles, and then came the most amazing flurry of cock-ups. Our team includes the singer- Rugged Man, the TV producer- KP, the crowd designer- Voltron and many others who were all waiting to go, but it was KP who caused the mess. It'll be sorted by next weekend, I'm really, really sorry. The blogger, omo alagbede is joining us next week too.

This is what you must do, Toks, you must continue playing. The first time I played after a long while, ALL my muscles ached including those I had no idea I had. Muscles around the pelvis, in the back, everywhere. Its the consistency that allows lubrication and in a short while you'll be playing like a pro and looking forward to it.

I'm really very sorry. By the way, you're the first person I know who found that place without assistance. We usually have to go to the main road to wait for new guys. I'd told myself, "if Toks doesn't call, it means he's changed his mind and there'll be no need to tell him the new date had caused a slight hitch in plans". The hitch will be all sorted today and I'll give you more info.

I'm looking forward to seeing you next week. You'll be super fit, yet. I have to link this post on my blog. I'm still laughing.

Adekunle Shobowale said...

You got a death wish or something?

Adekunle Shobowale said...

Don't listen to Las Papi. He's trying to kill ya.

Adekunle Shobowale said...

Please take up Golf, Tee off as much as you like but not damned football.
Las Papi mind yaself o...

Ms. Catwalq said...

You better leave Laspapi alone. You don't know that he has a baba in Ijebu that gives him some "assistance"
Toks, men, you don't know your level o. O din din football....lohun, lohun.
Anyways, in a few months, this will be pleasant history. Until then, you might want to invest in Motrin 800, or Tylenol extra strength

Toksboy said...

Laspapi-telling me that I am going to be playing against someone called Rugged Man is not exactly comforting but nevertheless I will be there. We will see how rugged he feels after he has bounced off me a few times.

The place is quite scary oh. Any minute I was expecting awon boys to jump out of the bushes and demand something for the weekend - like the Land Cruiser!

Kunle - Golf ke. Abeg I am not ajebutter oh. Nor am I a politician (yet) so I do not have access to the kind of naira required to fund such a pastime.

Catwalq - funnily enough as I was playing I was thinking of my dearly beloved grandmother (now deceased) and what she would have said had something happened to me - "kilowa debe? talo ran nishe?" At which point the gathered crowd of sympathisers would have said "laspapi ni". And where was the culprit? No where to be found!

Thirty + said...

This is so Hilarious, i am sure you are fit as a fiddle now.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!!THIS WAs hilarious, you must really be old when u say 'none of thema day past 30'- my hubby is 30 and i thnk he's old....pele

Anonymous said...

ps@ laspapa(i)-astro turf is not that hard to find at all. its behind my parents place at Abacha Estate, enter through 2nd avenue by Osborne and don't turn into the brwond gated estate, shikena!!
you old people sha :)

Toksboy said...

@w2b - i am not really old oh. there is still lots of mileage on my meter thank you very much. Only that the meter now moves more slowly!!