Monday 15 October 2007

Youth entertainment in Nigeria


Oh these kids of today. They do not realise how well they have it. 24 hours TV, fifty + channels, cinemas, shopping malls etc. Back in my day (hey you at the back don't start nodding off!) .... Anyway I am amazed at the choices available to the kids today. With the access to all this media and stimulation one hopes they pick up on the positive messages rather than get sucked into the more questionable stuff on offer. Trust me it is all out there.


My inspiration for this blog was a chance meeting with a chap called Denrele (pictured above with you know who - for more photos go to her blog) who hosts a lot of programmes for an outfit called Soundcity. These programmes are then aired across the local channels in Nigeria - AIT, NTA,MITV, Silverbird (I tell you again these kids are enjoying oh). The last week spent in the company of Denrele has been a real eye opener. The guy is a whirlwind of activity and nervous energy but in a very positive and nice middle class sort of way.


Oh how I wish my parents had allowed me to pursue my dreams of becoming a musikshan so that I too could get to dress like him.


Speaking of choices the elder daughters had a little outing with their chums from school at the weekend. First they went to Silverbird to watch a film and hangout and then they went to Cactus for lunch. Imagine. An outing for me back in the day involved being dressed up in some outfit that glowed in the dark and being taken to some aunty\ uncles party where the only entertainment would involve kicking bottle caps around the chairs whilst trying to stay out of my mother's range of vision knowing full well that if I caught her eye it was truly game over.


What do you think of today's feast of entertainment for kids in Naija today?

7 comments:

Nonesuch said...

It's a whole new world our children are growing up in and the boundaries are getting I beleive Parents ( that is if we are not deluded too trying to keep up with the Jones) need to be the stabilising factor. Teach some good home lessons and admit to ourselves when there are issues and not say the 'Plantain is ripe when its actually rotten'

יש (Yosh) said...

Globalization....the world is a global village and everything is only a reach away from a few clicks on a button (be it the Tv remote control, a mouse-click or keyboard punches).

Kids of nowadays sorta have it better with so much information to deal with. But like most good things, this barrage comes with a price, sometimes huge!

laspapi said...

I think your description of Denrele is as good as it gets. Advances on all fronts ensure that kids today peak early. I guess its a good thing as long as the influences are positive.

Thirty + said...

Those kids of 2day enjoy too much freedom and have all at their beck and call.

But I daresay we had more fun

יש (Yosh) said...

Nice presentation by Iyawo yesternight on AIT Star Host

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Strange - I've had the exact same thoughts on my mind. Yeah, kids have it good today but I think I had it better. When I see all the rudeness, lack of respect and hear the filth that comes out of the mouths of some of the youngsters here I cringe. Is this what technology and 'gobalization' is teaching them? Now when I think over your decision to return to Nigeria, I don't blame you jare. In my day (oh, that makes me sound ancient) it was fresh air, books and a good whack round the ears (or 'pick pin') if i got out of line - and I turned out just fine.

Adekunle Shobowale said...

We had more fun jare.

Who remembers Statue, and Suwe(Hopscotch), and ten-ten, and Cops and robbers, and breaking your legs/limbs on a bike, and banger at christmas, and climbing your neighbours trees to steal Mangoes and Almonds,and getting "chanced" off your skateboard(Thompson Av Bullies)
and table soccer with the bottle tops and Pen caps lol.And just generally fighting/ racking each other over nothing
Omo, we had more fun jo.