Saturday 16 June 2007

I READ THE NEWS TODAY OH BOY!


I have never felt as elated about the future of this country as I did yesterday when the Supreme Court ruled that Andy Uba did not have a right to be Governor of Anambra State due to one small itsy bitsy technicality which both himself, Obasanjo and INEC had somehow managed to overlook. Anambra State already had a Governor. His term does not run out till 2010 and so the elections in the state were a farce.


To add even more joy, Andy Uba then called a Press conference in Abuja ( I wonder whether he first went to see Yar Adua for special dispensation and was told "no show") in which he handed in his resignation with immediate effect and bowed to the Supreme Court ruling. I mean is this a new Nigeria or what? Would the same thing have happened at the last election or would Uba not have hired some area boys to burn down the Supreme Court?


I know I continue to bang the drum but slowly and surely it will stop to be business as usual and this thing called democracy will start to spread it's wings and exert itself. I can feel it.


On a separate note Lagos itself is pumping with adrenaline. Maybe it is still the honeymoon period for the new Governor but there are so many projects going on and so much activity that I cannot wait to see the comparison in 4 years time. There is just this whiff of change in the air. Of optimism. Of hope.Don't get me wrong it is not all rosy but somehow it is not all doom either. I hope it does not end in disappointment.

On a final note. Watch out for Yar Adua. Something tells me all the kings horses have underestimated his resolve. I see something behind those steely eyes that gives me a feeling that there are going to be many surprises from this man along the way.


Now back to my palaver with my prospective Landlord and his "agent".

3 comments:

Chxta said...

Concerning Anambra, I'd keep my fingers crossed until 2010 before shouting uhuru. The State Assembly members may pull some stunt soon enough...

Dami said...

more good news for naija. i see nigeria developing faster than ever, not lagos though. in fact lagos is holding the country back

Anonymous said...

Whats with your "prospective Landlord"? make sure u dont sign any hidden clauses (u know the ones that have service charges as well as a seperate clause for disel/petrol "given the state of NEPA/PHCN" they say) And have u tot of buying u a house there r loads of mortgage deals in Nijia now, its amazing u neva know what u can find with a 20% down payment that could be less than the rent u intend to pay. Try www.megamoundinvestment.com me and my family r going to check out the houses available soon also....HTH